WALLS

The walls on the Teardrop camper are 5′ high x 9′ long. The plywood sheets are 4′ x 8′. To create the larger walls I decided to use a scarf joint. To do this I had to create a scarf jig. You can see the scarf jig I created below. It uses a circular saw to do the cutting.

20141025_201700 20141025_201653

 

After the first cut below is what the end of the plywood looks like.

20141025_201736 20141025_201729

Then you run the saw down the top. Make sure you set your depth correct. After you do this is what it ends up looking like.

20141026_110735 20141026_110726

Once you get all your scarf joints made up. You need to glue together the boards, When doing this you need to put down vertical pressure to make sure seam is tight. But you also need to put on horizontal clamps to make sure the joint does not slide apart. This is the tricky part to fin the good balance between the two clamps.

20141026_131737 20141026_131728

This is what the joint and boards look like after it glued. The end of this joint did not turn out perfect. But it was good 1″ in.

20141026_151318 20141026_195926 20141026_195918 20141026_184114 20141026_164016 20141026_164012

After this I traced out the wall pattern on each of the sheets. I also traced out the cut outs for the door and window. Along with this all the hollow spot I will install the insulation. This also made it so I can lift the boards by myself without the use of a pulley system.

20141112_12400320141112_12394020141112_123936 20141112_123945 20141112_123955 20141112_143841 20141113_123945 20141113_123950 20141113_134956

 

Once both walls are cut out. I clamped them together and sanded the edges to ensure they were the same.

20141113_155510 20141113_155519

 

I then needed to glue on the outer skin. I tried doing scarf joints on this thinner plywood but it required much more precise cutting and it was not working out. So I ended up using a but joints on this. If I was going to do it again I would slow down and do each panel one at a time. I did not have enough wait to do them all at once. It ended up that not all the panels were pushed flat. This caused some cosmetic issues later. Even though all the panels were securely glued down.

20141116_134136 20141116_161728 20141115_125648 20141115_125659 20141115_125707 20141116_161644 20141116_161651 20141116_161723

 

Since I ended up suing butt joints and did not plan on it. Some of the joints were not with support on the backside. So I ended up gluing some extra strips on the backside.

20141117_131455 20141117_131437 20141117_141001 20141117_141007 20141117_141013 20141117_141045 20141117_141059 20141117_141103

After all the glue and caulk was dried and cured it was time to mount them on top of the floor. I made sure I used enough caulk on this seam to keep it water tight and to hold it for the next 10 years. I ended up using some cross members made out of 2″ x 4″ to hold the walls upright and at a 90 degree angle. I later re purposed these.

20141121_121312 20141121_121323 20141121_123003 20141121_123007 20141121_123016 20141121_130552 20141121_130606

Stage Two: After doing the ceiling which is in another section it was time to finish up the walls

I installed rigid foam insulation into all the spots on the walls I cut out.

20141205_172621 20141205_170655 20141205_170642 20141205_170638 20141205_152831 20141205_152826

After this I had to cut/shape all the internal panels to fit the curve of the teardrop.

20141206_153930 20141206_153922 20141206_151024 20141206_151000 20141206_150942 20141207_082956 20141207_082948 20141207_082406 20141207_082358 20141207_082354 20141207_082054 20141207_114320 20141207_100840 20141207_100825 20141208_144149 20141208_144136 20141208_144130

Stage 3: After the false floor is installed

I installed what I’m calling the fire wall. But in reality it is just the rear wall that separates the sleeping area and the Galley. It had to be shaped perfectly to fit between the walls and ceiling.

20141217_145244 20141217_115400  20141216_103414 20141216_103357

 

 

Donate Button with Credit Cards